Ageas are currently looking for a Head of Household Underwriting to provide strategic direction and deliver against GWP and CoR targets as per the Ageas Business Plan.
This role is about delivering the multi-year budget by turning the numbers into practical plans and actions to operate in the UK broker market. You will need to be comfortable explaining performance and targets to audiences above and below this job level, and be a subject matter expert, enabling you to talk with authority and work efficiently.
Key to the success of this role, the Head of Household Underwriting will drive performance within Underwriting (managing a team of 22 Underwriters) and building strong relationships with brokers and suppliers, acting as an external voice for Ageas in this field.
Duties of the Head of Household Underwriting:
- To deliver and help formulate the multi-year budget P&L for the account, this is to be achieved by effective control of pricing and underwriting together with expense control.
- To oversee the Pricing function in home. Keeping practices and reviews up to date to deliver the budgeted result. This role sits on the pricing Committee and has joint sign off.
- To oversee the underwriting in the department. Identifying areas that need correction and areas where profitable growth can be achieved, keeping practices up to date against the market. Act as the highest referral point for individual policy decisions.
- Deliver the best performance from the team, through effective leadership, growing talent and dealing with poor performance
- Making sure products and policies are compliant with all regulation and fit for purpose. In addition supplying and monitoring Household Underwriting Authorities for all staff.
- Main point of contact with business areas including Finance, Actuarial, Claims, Legal and distribution.
- Act as focal point for on product specific matters with groups such as the ABI, Media and Regulators.
- Key liaison with reinsurers to enable adequate cover to be bought at the best price.
- Strong relationships with brokers that will last through all points of the cycle.
- Control of expenses and looking for new more efficient ways to transact business.
- Negotiation of terms, conditions and legal agreements with Brokers.
Knowledge and experience of the Head of Household Underwriting:
- A sound understanding of underwriting and pricing principles, reinsurance and basic insurance law.
- Knowledge and understanding of all relevant technical, market, and legislative directives.
- High level of understanding around policy wordings and formulating complex contracts with legal.
- Understanding of the elements of P&L and the drivers.
- Understanding of insurance legal principals.
- Ability to deal with issues as they arise and make rational decisions in a fast moving environment.
- Confident decision-maker who can negotiate to the right outcome.
- Ability to prioritise work to meet deadlines, managing multiple work streams and stakeholders.
- Ability to work with people at all levels, internally and externally.
- Relationship skills and dealing with key partners and brokers.
- Experience in leading a team.
- In depth experience in a similar role or in a role where most of the requirements here have been reached.
- Educated to degree level OR good A-Level or equivalent with relevant professional qualification (ACII).
We're a leading provider of award-winning insurance solutions in the UK, distributing our Personal and Commercial products through brokers, intermediaries, affinity partners and the internet. We have two consumer brands - Back Me Up and RIAS - and partner with some of the nation’s most well-known brands, such as John Lewis, Age UK, Toyota, Virgin Money and General Motors. Employing around 4,000 people across the UK, we insure around five million customers and working with a range of partners, we are recognised for delivering consistent and high-quality customer experiences.
Here are some of the benefits you can enjoy in the role of Head of Household Underwriting:
A comprehensive range of flexible benefits options such as a company pension, 27 days’ holiday, rising to 29 days (you can also buy or sell up to 5 days), monthly car allowance, a car lease scheme, private medical insurance, life assurance, and an annual bonus. We offer a wide range of discounts with local retailers & gyms and if you’re relocating for this role, we’ll also offer you relocation assistance.